This is a light and fairly easy recipe to make with white beans, peppers, onions and I always add spinach too. Served over brown rice it’s a great meal by itself or you could add some cooked chicken, turkey or sausage if you like.
1lb package dry White Beans (I’ve used Navy beans)
Water (could use veggie or chicken stock if you prefer)
2 Bell peppers, any combination of green, red or yellow, chopped
1 Large Onion, chopped
8-10 oz Frozen Spinach (I use Trader Joe’s)
1 and 1/2 Tsp Salt (less if using stock or broth)
1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbs Herbs de Provence
1 and 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder (or 4-6 cloves of fresh minced)
Dash of Cayenne pepper – I usually go heavier than a dash but adjust to your preference
– Prepare the beans. Rinse and soak either overnight OR use the Quick soak method by adding to large pot, cover with 2 inches of water, bring to a boil then remove from heat, cover and let stand for an hour
– Drain the soaked beans and return to the pot
– Add enough water (or stock) to cover the beans
– Add all remaining ingredients
– Cover, bring to a simmer and cook over Low heat, simmering for about 2-2 1/2 hours (till beans start to fall apart) checking periodically and adding more liquid if needed to keep the beans covered.
– Once beans start to break down you can “help” them with a potato masher or slotted spoon to add a more creamy consistency. Adjust spices if needed and serve over brown rice.
This is a dish that I think gets even better as leftovers and one bag of beans does make quite a bit so unless you’re cooking for a crowd you’ll probably have some extra.
I’ve never tried it in a slow cooker or crock pot but it could probably be done – I’d just suggest doing it while you’re at home the first time so you can get an idea of the amount of liquid it will need.
Feel free to add/adjust veggies or spices to your preferences, and enjoy!
Copyright©2011 by Diane McDermott, All Rights Reserved, “White Beans and Veggies”
The content of this blog is the original content of Diane McDermott, NC Residential Real Estate Broker in south Charlotte NC